The temperature’s dropping and it’s time to cozy up with a classic cocktail. Winter cocktails provide the perfect balance of warmth, flavour, and spirit. We’ve listed 4 of our favourite cocktail recipes; all classics that work well in winter whether you’re catching up with friends or enjoying a quiet sip by the fire.
The Old Fashioned is a timeless cocktail that exudes sophistication and elegance. With its origins dating back to the early 19th century, this drink has stood the test of time.
- 60g bourbon or rye whisky
- 1 sugar cube or 1 tsp sugar
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange twist
- Place the sugar cube or sugar in an Old Fashioned glass
- Add the bitters and a splash of water to the glass
- Muddle the sugar and bitters until dissolved
- Add the whisky and a DrinksPlinks Mega Cube and stir gently
- Garnish with an orange twist
The Old Fashioned's rich and robust flavors, coupled with the warmth of the whisky, make it an ideal companion for winter evenings. Sip it slowly and savor the smoky notes.
If you’re looking for a winter cocktail that strikes the perfect balance between tanginess and sweetness, add the Whisky Sour to your list this winter. This classic cocktail showcases the versatility of whisky and adds a refreshing twist.
- 60g whisky (bourbon or rye)
- 20g fresh lemon juice
- 15g simple syrup
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Lemon slice or cherry
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice
- Add the whisky, lemon juice, simple syrup, and egg white (if using) to the shaker
- Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds
- Strain the mixture into a rocks glass with a DrinksPlinks W ice shape
- Garnish with a lemon slice or cherry (or both)
The Whisky Sour has a delightful balance of citrus and sweetness. The addition of egg white adds a silky texture to the cocktail, elevating the overall experience.
Dark ‘N Stormy
Winter is the perfect time for a rum cocktail and we especially love Kraken Black Spiced Rum for its distinct aroma of toffee, spice and vanilla. A traditional, easy-to-make rum cocktail is the Dark ‘N Stormy which uses lime and ginger beer to contrast with the dark, rich rum.
- 60g dark rum
- 100ml ginger beer
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- Lime slice to garnish
- In an Old Fashioned glass and add your favourite DrinksPlinks ice shape or Letter R
- Add the rum and lime juice
- Top with ginger beer
- Garnish with a lime wheel
One sip of the Dark ‘N Story and your winter evening instantly gets a whole lot sunnier. Think tropical island, warm breeze and beach vibes. [We’re so there!]
For a hit of caffeine and a touch of sophistication, the Espresso Martini is a perfect choice for a winter warmer. This cocktail combines the rich flavors of coffee with the smoothness of vodka, making it a luxurious treat and the ideal pick-me-up.
- 45g vodka
- 30g coffee liqueur
- 30g freshly brewed espresso
- 15g simple syrup (optional, adjust to taste)
- Coffee beans
- Ice cubes
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice
- Add the vodka, coffee liqueur, espresso, and simple syrup (if desired) to the shaker
- Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds to chill the mixture
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini glass
- Add a DrinksPlinks Mega Cube or M for Martini ice shape
- Garnish with a few coffee beans
Top tip: freeze some coffee beans in the ice tray for a little something extra.
Winter cocktails bring warmth, comfort and a touch of elegance to cold nights. Who are you inviting and what are you drinking this winter?